Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Elvis: World Leader, King of Rock and Roll

It just seems right to start my own blogging experience with this slice of time from yesterday.

Several of my friends know that in high school, I was asked to pick a world leader and write a paper on that person, their life and contributions to society. You guessed it. I chose Elvis Presley, the world leader of Rock and Roll. What can I say? I went through an Elvis phase. I don't think that was what the teacher had in mind, but she let it slide. After all, Elvis did influence music around the world. Creativity must count for something, right? While I am officially through my Elvis phase, I am still a fan. Therefore, I could appreciate yesterday's effort.

Andrew and I were out going to the doctor. We ended up right across the street from where my grandmother, Meme, lives in her retirement community. It was close to lunch, so we decided to pop in and eat with her. As soon as we sat down in the dining hall to order, he made his way in--roller cart with speakers, microphone, music and all. It was Elvis! He came to wish a fellow resident "Happy Birthday!" If he didn't cause quite a buzz in the community that day! For 45 minutes we were entertained by this leisure-suited, dyed-hair, kareoke-singing Elvis. We were the lucky ones sitting in the dining area with him. The others had to rely on the supersonic speaker system he brought with him to enjoy the show.

We were close enough that I kept encouraging Andrew to go up there with the sweaty man and let me take a picture with my phone (This I am not really sure how to do. In fact, I did try. And if I can figure out how to get the pictures off, I will post them. Somehow everything ended up upside-down.). Needless to say, Andrew did not get out of his chair. He almost quit looking at me completely. Is it true that a mom can embarrass a 6 year old?

All across the country, men are zipping up the front of their suits, donning that jet black wig, slipping on the bling, bling jewelry, and turning on the wordless cd. This, to keep the legend alive (and sing holiday or birthday wishes too). Well, I believe. Elvis lives!!

1 comment:

Shannon said...

I am soo, soo glad you have joined the blogging world! FYI - TMI --all those things ... I dressed up as Elvis when I was a freshman in high school and performed to the nohting-but-a-hounddog song! It was for some Famous American day and I was the first girl who had ever chosen to be a male ... don't you know my parents were so proud?!?!