Wednesday, November 19, 2008

A Thanksgiving Tree

Monday was a Monday in so many ways: first of all, it was Monday; more than that, after 4 weeks of illness in the house, it still lurks here; Matthew took off his diaper during nap and tinkled on his fairly new carpet; Andrew carved a small picture in the dining room table because he was frustrated and angry; Margo didn't want to do her work; and I didn't want to do my work. I would like to say Tuesday was so much better, but I can't really. Frankly, we have just been down right cranky 'round here. What are we supposed to do with days like that(like this) and so many others?

"Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus." (I Thessalonians 5:16) Seems to be easier said than done sometimes. But, I think God through Paul is giving us the formula right there: if we give thanks in every situation and pray continually, then joy always follows! Right? Well, I am thankful. I am thankful for so many things, beginning with the privilege of being at home with these three little tarts every day, sharing both the bad and good times with them, learning their individual personalities--strengths and weaknesses, while discovering much about my own! I am thankful for each new day, each new hour, and each new minute we have to turn things around, if needed; to stop, give thanks and pray.

During the month of November, to help us practice the art of thanksgiving as a family, we put up the Thanksgiving Tree. This was a fabulous craft the kids did during a field trip last year, and it has stuck--it's a November tradition for us!


Use whatever you have to fill a vase, a clay pot or bowl of some sort. Grab some sticks from the yard and secure them in the vase to create a twig arrangement (depending on what you are putting them into, floral foam might be helpful). Get creative and fancy, or don't!
Cut leaves from construction paper, hole-punch them, and tie them to the twigs once you have written your notes of thanksgiving on them. There you have it! A Thanksgiving Tree. We do this every night at dinner. It is great to look back over the weeks of praise that have been recorded as the tree comes to life with leaves.

1 comment:

Fun With Five said...

I love it! We made our own-much less creative and cute- one for our house! I love the idea of it and have enjoyed having something to refocus our thoughts during this season! :)
Hope you are all well soon.