Friday, March 7, 2008

Through the Eyes of a Storyteller



Recently, I have been challenged to train myself, not to just try harder (a whole topic in and of itself--another topic for another post!), to find joy throughout the day, even when circumstances and surroundings are not perfect. Some might infer that at one time I did consider things perfect and experienced great joy. Not necessarily so. Nothing in life is ever perfect. We have many things here on earth to delight in, and I certainly do. However, we also have much here to remind us of our shortcomings as well. Most of the time, I am my own worst enemy.

For clarification sake, I am talking about joy, not happiness, momentary thrill or belly aching laughter. True joy has its' root in love. I saw it written this morning that the fruit of the Spirit listed in Galatians 5 could be written like this: But the fruit of the Spirit is love: joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. I am striving to love in a way that I am not capable of except by God's grace. Thus, the reason for my post. I have found one way to help in my "joy training".

Thinking of situations throughout the day from the perspective of a storyteller, as I would post on this blog, is a tremendous tool for finding the proper perspective on a situation that might otherwise cause me to react out of frustration rather than love. Whether I ever get around to posting that perspective is quite another thing, but the process in my mind is glorious! Our reactions are so much a result of our thoughts. Getting a hold of our thoughts and bringing them into obedience before Christ is key.

Look at life through the eyes of a storyteller! I highly recommend it, not so we can fabricate situations into funny quips or a Reader's Digest feature, but to see a situation outside of ourselves and perhaps see it differently. Let us all "joy train" together! (Sidenote: Blogging: The whole idea of a one-sided conversation, posting of my thoughts, is also a topic I might like to explore at some point. Narcissistic or therapeutic? I am not sure, but I am all in!)

P.S. How do you think I did with this meeting of Matthew and the Mascara??

1 comment:

Fun With Five said...

Matthew and the mascara...precious. And I love the idea of the storyteller perspective. I totally agree...getting out of my self centered perspective and actually seeing the moment...some of them still frustrating, but finding the laughter in others when I might have missed it!
And I also have the same question in my mind about blogging....narcissistic or therapeutic...can't wait to hear your answer.